Saturday, May 8, 2010

What is yours???,,,, Um...nothing?

I have been debating whether to post this or not, but have decided to do so, on the account that there might be others struggling with the same things I am, others that might be contemplating a life in missions, this is my life. I'm not posting this to get people to feel sorry for me or for attention. This post is simply me,.. being very vulnerable, sharing what God is doing in my life.


This is my life here... let me introduce you to some of my barkada (Tagalog for gang or group of friends you hang out with):
This is me and Christian, Christian plays the drums at church, but he can also play guitar and sing.



This is Jayson, Jayson plays the guitar in morning worship at church, but he can also play the bass and is learning the drums too, oh yea.. he can sing also.


This is Dennis, he is the best dancer I think I have ever seen. He's very good at organizing special numbers for the youth group to do in front of church.

This is me, with Kristine and Dennis. Kristine sings.

This is Brent and a little bit of Dennis. Brent plays bass and sings in the morning worship.

These are only a few friends of mine from church, there are many more, and many more talents to go along with them. I'm so grateful the Lord brought me to this church and these great friends. They are super nice and its been great getting to know them... however in the process of getting to know each other, there is one question that seems to pop up alot, "What is your talent?" ... Notice that all of them have 'things' that they are good at, they all have talents. My reply to this question, "Um...I don't really have any talents.." And believe you me, Satan knows how to jump on an answer like that. Another question, one that generally follows the first, is "Well, what are your hobbies? What do you do?" ... I'm stunned again. Because I stop and think, and ... hmmm... what do I do for fun? Surely I did something back home... I went to work, and I went to school and I hung out with friends... but did I ever do anything. I'm coming to the realization and am finally answering, "I don't ... really.. have any hobbies." At home, I liked to cook, but it wasn't a talent. Hmm... the only thing I do is .. I play with kids, I take care of babies, that's my lone and simple talent and hobby rolled into one... and some, probably many, would argue,... that't not exactly a talent or a hobby, its kinda my job...

So, this, my lack of talents and hobbies, has been on my mind alot lately, and as I mentioned before, Satan definitely knows how to attack a girl on her weak spots, and self-confidence is definitely my weakness. Add in the new fact that I lack hobbies and talents and am surrounded by talented people... and add the devil in there.. it gets rough. But bring in God and his faithful promises and you get the verse that I came across in my quiet time. 2 Corinthians 12:9-10, "But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 10 For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong."

Praise the LORD that in my utter weakness, He is strong. Even though I am nothing, He loves me and shines through me. Even though I have no talents, He can do anything and He can use me to do anything.

I have nothing to boast of but Jesus.

~ To God Be the Glory!

3 comments:

denie heppner said...

this is deep, brittany, and i hear what you're saying. i think you are selling yourself a bit short, though...you have a talent of making kids adore you. and that's music to God's ears! ;) hang in there.

Mrs. Ferguson said...

Loving children, caring for children, teaching children...all of those are gifts...talents. Think about it...there are MANY people in the world who are not gifted in those areas. I would say you have a great gift. :)

Love you!
Cindy

Anonymous said...

Hey Sweet Pea,

I agree with both Denie and Cindy...DON'T sell yourself short, for ALL of these are gifts/talents-given to you by God Himself. It takes a special young lady with a calling of God on your life to do what you have done and are doing.

You're away from your family, friends, home and all that you are familiar with, your comfort zone. You've been obedient and look what you're doing...out of your 'comfort zone'...loving on babies, babies that have been rejected...you're loving on them, teaching them, telling them about Jesus through your words and actions, taking care of them and making them feel loved and wanted!

There's not a lot young ladies standing in line to hug and love on these babies and to volunteer to be a 'human jungle gym' everytime you sit down!!! What a blessing to be loved by all these precious children. It's evedient in the pictures your love for them (and theirs for you) in the way you play in the water with them, let them climb on you, make cookies with them, make funny faces for the camera with them and the list goes on and on!!!

If all of this is not a gift nor a talent that is given by God alone~~then I'm not sure what we're looking for. You, my dear, are also such a blessing to me, Dad and Bubs!

We love you lots and are very proud of you!
Momma