Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Ransomed...

The smile spreads across my face as we approach the familiar path to her house.  I see the looks from the others.. we're going to see her.  I met her many weeks ago, her husband is sick, and she is also, though her illness is accepted.  After the initial inquiry about her, they sit and discuss the treatment plan for her husband, while me and her sit and talk and giggle like kids in middle of a church service, winning the glances of the others from time to time.

She talks in Tagalog, and I catch words here and there and follow the best I can. She decided after the first week that we would be family.  And just like that...we are.  I pay my respects to her each week, not knowing how much is her and how much is the Alzheimer's. Every week I see and am thankful for that week's smile.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

He spoke to me often, reminiscing of a time when he was stationed in the country I now call home.  Speaking of the weather, the people, the food, the beauty.  It was our common ground, a place that was so unspeakably special to us; it connected us, though we only spoke on my yearly visits.

Then I heard the news, he was in hospital and not doing well.  There was an opportunity to go see him, while there was still time left.  My parents walked in first... then after their initial hellos, I stepped out from behind them.

When he saw me, the tears came to his eyes and his breath caught.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've never seen her, but I consider her a dear friend.  She lives a similar life to me, yet in a country I've never been to.

We were introduced via email through a mutual friend.  Only a few emails went back and forth and we were already dear friends at heart, uniquely understanding each other.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Three different stories, yet a very common situation.  A truth that comes from only God.  The LORD gave me this life, called me and led me every step of the way.  And it is the LORD that is using my ransomed life.






Now, Lord, I would be Yours alone
And live so all might see
The strength to follow Your commands
Could never come from me
Oh Father, use my ransomed life
In any way You choose
And let my song forever be
My only boast is You



~ To God Be the Glory! 

No comments: