Tuesday, April 20, 2010

A New Tongue

So, for months now I've been slowly working on my Tagalog, the language spoken here in Manila. I have a notebook of words and phrases, and I'm to the point now where I can finally start hearing it, I can finally tell where the words are when I hear the language spoken, its no longer just an endless whirl of blahblahblahblah. I was texting with a new sweet friend from church, and I was saying how I hate that I haven't gotten the language yet, or at least more of it. Her replying text was, 'It's ok...I hope you will learn it soon and I will pray for it.' Those last words popped. What? You're going to pray for it? Here I am, the 'missionary' and I am caught off guard that someone is going to pray for something. But in all honesty, I had never thought to pray about learning the language. I've prayed about thousands of other things, over sick children, dying babies, costs, living arrangements, friends, attitude, mindset... all these things.. but for myself to learn the language...it never occured to me to pray and ask God to help me. This happened last night, also yesterday I read the new Crazy Love post about Challenge #2, it was of course...prayer requests. HaHa! I love God's timing!

So that is one of my new prayer requests, it seems to me to be almost small and silly considering the other things that I've requested prayer for in the past and all the things I'm currently praying for and about; but there it is. Lord, please help me to learn this beautiful language. Help me to grasp the language and understand it and to be able to speak it. Help me to be able to communicate with the people that I have come to love in their own language.

~ To God Be the Glory!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My Sweet Girl,

You know God cares about all of our needs...regardless of how small or petty they may seem to us! (I think that sometimes satan tricks us into thinking the need may be small and insignificant so that we will not take it to God--which is exactly what satan wants-for us NOT to talk to our Father!) Our Awesome Father loves us so much and cares about what is important to us, especially when we are stiving to be obedient unto Him. Therefore, nothing is a small request!

And, personally, I think that learning a new language is a HUGE thing to be praying about! It would take nothing short of a miracle for my mind to grasp another language...but I'm confident that if that is what God would have for me, then HE would do the work in me and HE would be the one to get the glory for it!!!

You are amazing and I'm just as confident that you will have a full grasp of the language soon...for now, you see,many are praying for this!!! I love you and I'm so proud of you!

Love ya lots!!!
Momma

Mrs. Ferguson said...

Brittany,
Praying with you and for you!
Love you,
Cindy