Saturday, July 3, 2010

Conversations with kids...#1 (I'm sure there will be many more to come)

Me and G - Taygaytay - Jan 2010
So, I've been meaning to blog about this for a while now, and am just now getting around to it. About a week or so ago, I was on shift downstairs with the 'big kids' but with 5 in public school and 2 pairs of 2 in school here at GH, the morning shift is pretty laid back with not much excitement, which is great because it allows me to talk and spend some good one on one time with the few kids that I'm in charge of in the mornings.
One of those kids is G, pictured above and at the top of my blog. G is about 7 years old I believe and loves asking questions. There was music playing one particular morning that me and G were sitting on the couch in the play area and talking and I wasn't really listening to what song was playing when G looks at me and asks, "What's sin?"
Oh boy.. ok .. so.. I try my best to explain what sin is... "Sin is when we disappoint God or go against what He wants. Its like when we are bad or do bad things." I go on thinking about how to put it so that she will understand the weight of sin and the weight of what Jesus did, because you can't very well explain sin without explaining that Jesus paid the price for our sin...so.. "But Jesus came and took our sin. Like... it's kinda like when we are bad.. like say you do something really bad and you should get a spanking.." She interupts me rigth there smiling as she's thinking about all of this and she asks, "Wait....who's giving me the spanking??" "Well, that's not really the point, the thing is, you've done something really bad, and you need to get a spanking as a punishment for what you did.. but Jesus, Jesus came and took your spanking, he took your punishment. That's what Jesus did when He came and died on the cross, He took our punishment for things that we did." Again, I'm trying to put this on a child's level so she can grasp the weight of it all.
I'm kinda holding my breath, wondering what the next question would be. I wasn't expecting, her looking at me, seeing the wheels turning in her head, she cocks her head and says, "So... Jesus gots a spanking??" (Didn't see that one coming...HAHAHA!) Umm... well, "Well, sorta,.. kinda... in a way, yes. But Jesus got much more than a spanking, He came and He died for us. Jesus was the only person to ever live that didn't sin. Everyone else has sinned, we all have sin in our lives. But Jesus came and He took our sins, He came and took the punishment for our sin."
She looks at me and I see the questions forming, not knowing what they will be, I see them coming, "You? You have sin Ate Brittany??"


"Oh yes Sweetie, I have lots of sin."

She still looks as if she's trying to take it all in, "What about Ate Jordan,.. and Ate Kyla? Do they have sin?"

"Yes, they have sin as well. We all have sin, everyone has sinned."

"Even Ate Char?? What about Kuya Evan??"

"Yes, even Ate Char and Kuya Evan have sinned."

At this point, she was still thinking and taking it all in, when our one on one time had to end. I'm looking forward to this next week, when I get to talk to G some more! Who knows what questions will come next!

~ To God Be the Glory!

No comments: