Saturday, July 17, 2010

Ms. J



Ok, so next up in the series, Ms Jonalyn! I remember the night before we got Jonalyn, we were gathered in devotions at Gentle Hands and Ate told us about a little girl in Malabon that was going to die if we didn't get her soon. They had been trying for months to get her, the social services knew about the case but wouldn't force the removal of the child.. although the child was obviously going to die if not removed from the home. We had a special night of prayer that night, we didn't even know the little girl's name. We prayed that God would rescue her, that He would allow us to get the little girl, that He would be glorified through all. We prayed, we prayed with faith, but in the back of our minds.. we knew it might take this little innocent life dying to make the community wake up the treatment of their children.. we prayed that her life wouldn't be needed for that realization to hit home.

We went the next morning to Malabon for our weekly outreach...and, as Ate was walking through the windings of Malabon, the father walks up and hands the baby to Ate, "Here.. take her."

If that is not a miracle, if that is not the workings of prayer then I don't know what is!!

When we rescued Jonalyn, she was 15 months old and weighed a whopping 9 lbs. She had tb, worms, and was stained in dirt and was so weak she could barely sit up.



Today... she is absolutely beautiful! She has a cute little round tummy, just as a precious sometimes mischevious 2-year old should. Just the other day, last week I believe, she learned a new word... bahot, which means stinky in Tagalog. Well her and Augustine were both learning this word and had fun informing me that Raphael was bahot (had a poopy diaper.. thanks guys), so I'm trying to tell them to be nice and not call others bahot, when Jonalyn (who is in the process of potty training) looks at me with the saddest most innocent eyes and says slowly, "Ate... bahot." as she points to herself. I quickly told her it was ok as I scooped her up and ran to the CR (bathroom)... we were a little late.. but it was so adorable to see her look up at me almost embarassed and point to herself.. bahot. Too cute!


Jonalyn is currently learning new words and just enjoying life as a sweet lovable toddler! Every morning I look forward to her big snuggly hugs and kisses, she is such a sweetheart, especially with the rough start she had in life. Her and Abegail are best buds, and as I call them, my Double Trouble Duo. They are both so so silly, adorable and 'slightly' mischevious, always together.


I love this picture of the 2 (or 3, with Augustine in the background) of them. It so catches their personalities. Jonalyn and Abegail always together, but always with Abegail leading and in charge and Jonalyn just kinda going with it and saying, "Ok Abegail.. sure.. let's go for it. Might as well.." With Abegail the whole time yelling, "AHHHH!!! Ready or Not...HERE WE COME!!!!"

Oh how I love these kids!

Dear LORD, I thank you for the miracle that is Jonalyn's life. I thank You for how You worked so evidently to rescue her a year ago. I am awed at how You have renewed her and brought her from a dying lifeless baby, to a beautiful bouncing toddler. Continue to watch over her Father, continue to guide her and lead her till one day she can understand the immense love that You have for her. I pray for the day that she would realize who You are, that You are her Savior, that You are her Guide, her Rescuer, her true and loving Father!

~ To God Be the Glory!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Britt,

Thanks for the update on Ms. Jonalyn! I remember last summer when Jonalyn came to GH; I remember you telling us about her, how small she was and how close to death she was and asking us to pray for her. WOW, has God ever answered that prayer~~the way we had hoped He would!

Jonalyn is an example of a miracle; and you are an example of a faithful child of God, being obedient to what HE has called you to do. You are an example for all of us to follow! You are my daughter, and I'm thankful for you!

Love you lot :)
Momma

Anonymous said...

Britt

I'm going to send you a bunch of boxes, backpacks, suitcases ... whatever ... so that when you come home you can bring these sweeties along too so that we can personally love on them!! Each and every one you describe is so special and sweet - and YOU are God's gift to them! We love you so much!!

The Burts